httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: DNT & IE10 (was svn commit: r1371878 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/conf/httpd.conf.in)
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 12:55:28 GMT

On Sep 13, 2012, at 4:28 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:

> Regardless, I am +0 to revert, for none of the above reasons.
> I am not fond of the performance hit of checking for a browser
> version and setting an environment variable, just to support a
> standard that is not being backed by the standards group.
> I'd rather focus on new standards that aren't being manipulated
> by EC/DC politics and the trolls that they feed.  I would, however,
> like to leave the three browsermatch lines in the config
> (commented out) as an example.

+1

> With regard to open letters, I'm done with that after our experience
> with Sun.  If I had thought there was any chance of a letter working,
> it would have been the first action proposed.  I am not opposed to
> the idea of sending official feedback through our friends at Microsoft,
> but please understand that it won't be effective unless we can make
> it in their own interest to stop abusing the standard.

I doubt that an open letter would/will change anything, but it's
open for a reason: so that the larger community, and not just MS
(or whoever it is directed to) is aware of our position and the
rationale behind it. It's to garner support for our POV and, as
such, I still think it's worthwhile, esp if we do adjust the
config file to comment them out.

> Apache's original mission is still important to me, even if the
> rest of the world has forgotten.

I think it's also important to the PMC and the developers as well.