httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: undesired modules loading
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:20:40 GMT
On Aug 18, 2012, at 1:45 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:

> Yes, before 2.4.0 we introduced exactly this difference. All modules that were build
get a LoadModule line in the installed config, but most are commented out. I don't have the
list of modles active by default at hand though.

Ah, okay.

>> At the very least, modules dependent on SSL must not be loaded if
>> --without-ssl is the configure option.
>>
>> I don't consider this a showstopper for 2.4.3, but I do think they
>> are bugs in trunk and 2.4.x.
>
> Partial answer: the current semantics of maintainer-mode is (per configure help):
>
> "Turn on debugging and compile time warnings and load all compiled modules"

Umm, WTF?  Why?

> In fact configure should output
>
> "Maintainer mode setting "LOAD_ALL_MODULES" to yes"
>
> It seems you can switch of this side effect of maintainer mode by explicitly adding "--enable-load-all-modules=no"
to your configure flags. This is the default except for when building in maintainer mode.

So, basically what you are saying is that an incompatible change
was made to the existing configuration flags so that my build
scripts are now broken for no good reason.

  --enable-load-all-modules
                          Load all modules
  --enable-maintainer-mode
                          Turn on debugging and compile time warnings and load
                          all compiled modules
  --enable-debugger-mode  Turn on debugging and compile time warnings and turn
                          off optimization
  --enable-modules=MODULE-LIST
                          Space-separated list of modules to enable | "all" |
                          "most" | "few" | "none" | "reallyall"

Many of our modules are not cross-platform, yet we expect all of
our developers to test with --enable-maintainer-mode.  That smells
like a brain fart to me.

....Roy