httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Ideas for an output filter for mod_lua
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:54:10 GMT

On Aug 23, 2012, at 2:49 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 22:32:20 +0100
> Tim Bannister <isoma@jellybaby.net> wrote:
>

>> That's quite neat, then. I will try to make an actual implementation in Lua.
>> The part I found difficult was the interaction with the second transfer-encoding,
“chunked”. Using gzip Transfer-Encoding: implies using chunked, because we want to shorten
the response and this means that the Content-Length definitely doesn't match the size of the
HTTP response body.

> gzip is a content-encoding, not a transfer-encoding.

It is both.  Transfer-Encoding is the correct way to implement it.

> That makes it easy to implement: content filters and protocol
> filters work at different levels, so can coexist without trouble.

Except that they aren't standards-compliant because they don't
handle etags correctly.  Content-Encoding works with more clients
but is much harder to implement correctly.

....Roy