httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Limitations of mod_dbd - single server per vhost
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:43:14 GMT
On 22 Aug 2012, at 10:25 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

>> From reading the module's documentation, it seems, a single vhost can only use one
DB-server (and only with one set of credentials): only a single DBDriver and DBDParams is
possible, for example.

> That is by design: it is expected to meet most needs.
> If you wants more generality, go ahead and hack it.

This is one of the things I'd like see minimised in the server implementation, the inclusion
of arbitrary restrictions that later have to be lifted. I went through the proxy and cache
implementations for httpd v2.4 and removed all the per-virtual-host restrictions from all
directives that didn't require it, as too often I was approached saying "we can't use the
cache because feature X can only be set server wide and that breaks site Y". Ideally directives
should be per-directory or per-location, unless there is a concrete reason otherwise.

My rusty memory tells me that someone submitted a patch to fix this a while ago?

Regards,
Graham