httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Limitations of mod_dbd - single server per vhost
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:24:12 GMT

On 22 Aug 2012, at 11:43, Graham Leggett wrote:

> On 22 Aug 2012, at 10:25 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
>
>>> From reading the module's documentation, it seems, a single vhost can only use
one DB-server (and only with one set of credentials): only a single DBDriver and DBDParams
is possible, for example.

>> That is by design: it is expected to meet most needs.
>> If you wants more generality, go ahead and hack it.
>
> This is one of the things I'd like see minimised in the server implementation, the inclusion
of arbitrary restrictions that later have to be lifted.

My words you quoted are somewhat oversimplified.  The design didn't say
"we'll only allow one backend ...", it was just a case of not introducing
extra complexity.

The implementation needs object persistence, of the kind we have
in the per-server configuration but not per-directory.  That was the
original design constraint.

> I went through the proxy and cache implementations for httpd v2.4 and removed all the
per-virtual-host restrictions from all directives that didn't require it, as too often I was
approached saying "we can't use the cache because feature X can only be set server wide and
that breaks site Y". Ideally directives should be per-directory or per-location, unless there
is a concrete reason otherwise.

Indeed, I seem to recollect doing some of that for ProxyPass & family
right back in the days of 2.0, when it was indeed a bug[1]!  But that's a
different kettle of fish.

> My rusty memory tells me that someone submitted a patch to fix this a while ago?

Now that you mention it, wasn't something committed?  I think that
whatever we have is either there in the code or excluded because
there were more problems with it than anyone was prepared to fix.
But ICBW.

[1] starting with r231355 and
http://marc.info/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=110726027118798&w=2

--