httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Kaspar Brand <httpd-dev.2...@velox.ch>
Subject Re: Linking mod_ssl with a specific OpenSSL version
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:22:45 GMT
On 17.08.2012 10:11, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 08:36:31PM +0200, Kaspar Brand wrote:
>> I wonder if we should add support for module-specific CFLAGS etc.,
>> which would always appear before the EXTRA_XXX stuff in the compile
>> and link commands, i.e. in rules.mk we would have:
>>
>> ALL_CFLAGS   = $(MOD_CFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CFLAGS) $(NOTEST_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)
>> ALL_CPPFLAGS = $(DEFS) $(INTERNAL_CPPFLAGS) $(MOD_CPPFLAGS) $(EXTRA_CPPFLAGS) $(NOTEST_CPPFLAGS)
$(CPPFLAGS)
>> ALL_INCLUDES = $(INCLUDES) $(MOD_INCLUDES) $(EXTRA_INCLUDES)
>>
>> ALL_LDFLAGS  = $(MOD_LDFLAGS) $(EXTRA_LDFLAGS) $(NOTEST_LDFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS)
>>
>> A particular module could then set its specific MOD_CFLAGS etc. in
>> modules.mk, and these would always have priority over those possibly
>> inserted by other modules.
>
> Doing CFLAGS et al like that doesn't generalise brilliantly, because
> they are per-directory (modules/xxx) not strictly per-module, but it
> could be done anyway, and that wouldn't matter for mod_ssl.  Yeah,
> probably a good idea.

I gave it a try, and so far it seems to work as expected, see the
attached patch (against r1358166, to reduce clutter). Right now the
following modules are affected:

- modules/cache: mod_socache_dc (--with-distcache)

- modules/filters: mod_deflate (--with-z), mod_xml2enc (--with-libxml2),
                   mod_proxy_html (--with-libxml2)

- modules/lua: mod_lua (--with-lua, --enable-luajit)

- modules/ssl: mod_ssl (--with-ssl)

I.e. there's currently only a potential clash in modules/filters.

> It should be possible to override LDFLAGS truly per-module by tweaking
> the SH_LINK line generated in modules.mk.

I didn't pursue this option for the time being, as it would currently
only be of potential benefit for mod_deflate and
mod_xml2enc/mod_proxy_html. If you (or other devs) think it's an
important aspect, please let me know and I'll have a closer look.

Feedback and comments about the proposed approach - especially from
build system experts - is very much welcome.

Kaspar