httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Darroch <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1362538 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES server/util_script.c
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:14:49 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

>>> what about limiting the number of characters logged and potentially
>>> sent to the client via error-notes?
>>> ("%.120s" anyone?)
>>   Sounds good to me ... are there any debug/trace log which truncate
>> output in a similar way that could serve as "best practices" examples?
>> I fished around a bit for %.[0-9]+s but didn't see anything obvious ...
> dunno
> Actually, I wonder why this code allows the unexpected script output
> to be part of error-notes anyway.  In fact all the uses of
> APLOG_TOCLIENT look suspect.  Why should the client be told anything
> about the application that handles the request?  The feature
> presumably helps CGI developers, but they should be able to check the
> error log.

   OK, back from vacation ... I didn't see any other followups on this
so I'll likely just go with your original suggestion and add the string
limit of some modest length like 120 chars.  Sound OK?

GPG Key ID: 088335A9
GPG Key Fingerprint: 86CD 3297 7493 75BC F820  6715 F54F E648 0883 35A9

View raw message