httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.3 as GA
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 03:01:35 GMT
"Downstream customers" in my case means customers that will deploy
Apache and our products on their own servers.  In a great many cases
these servers run Windows.

The clients in most cases are Windows too, but that's a different matter
entirely.

On 8/17/2012 3:12 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I am curious how the number of downstream customers being Windows effects
> anything on the server side...
>
> On Aug 17, 2012, at 2:16 PM, Jess Holle <jessh@ptc.com> wrote:
>
>> The fact that there is no event MPM equivalent for Windows is a huge gap for 2.4.x.
>>
>> Given the large percentage of our downstream customers using Windows there's not
a huge motivation to move to 2.4.x.

>> Moreover, it's my understanding that the event MPM falls back to behaving like the
worker MPM in SSL cases.  Is that true?  If so, then that further decreases the motivation
to move to 2.4.x.

>> Overall, given that a large portion of our downstream usages are on Windows, say
50% for the sake of argument, and that a large percentage of our usages are HTTPS, again say
50% for the sake of argument, the benefits of the event MPM are really quite narrow in practice
in our case.

>> That said, I didn't know or had forgotten that SSL didn't work with the Windows MPM
in 2.4.x.  That would be a substantial regression from 2.2.x -- and resolving this would clear
the way for 2.4.x being GA barring any other such regressions.