httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: utf-8 -> punycode for ServerName|Alias?
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:52:03 GMT
On 8/1/2012 5:01 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> there is simply no need for UTF8 in servrnames
> the nslookup you see is only a user-view
>
> there are only ASCII chars in dns and http-config
> without any special char and that is why IDN exists
>
> ServerAlias xn--wrmlach-n2a.at www.xn--wrmlach-n2a.at
>
> you will find no other expression than "xn--wrmlach-n2a.at"
> for "w├╝rmlach.at" in dns, httpd and other services while
> nslookup and any browser are happy with the special chars

Ok, now I'm entirely following you, thanks :)

Based on your feedback, I have a couple of observations;

 1. The ServerAlias above will continue to work, never intended otherwise.
    Some of us like to work closer to the wire than others.

 2. IDN -does- exist, and list/forum traffic suggests there are users who
    want IDN to be recognized in a native representation.  I propose we
    support only utf-8 in .conf files for that native representation and
    will prepare a patch that offers that support -for those who desire it-.

 3. Some users, like yourself, will want to always see IDN mapped values
    in the access/error log.  Others will want to always see utf-8, and
    I'll prepare a patch that allows either behavior.  I don't plan to
    spend a lot of time on simultaneous use of both behaviors, but if it
    turns out to be trivial, there may be a finer grained support.

 4. As you say, browser and nslookup users already benefit from this
    silent translation.  httpd users are users, of varying skill and
    comprehension.  There's no need to be exclusionary, IMHO.