httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Reindl Harald <>
Subject Re: utf-8 -> punycode for ServerName|Alias?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 00:01:59 GMT

Am 01.08.2012 18:25, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
> On 4/7/2012 2:00 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 07.04.2012 08:33, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>>> So we have live registrars, no longer "experimental", who are now
>>> registering domains in punycode.  Make of it what you will.
>>> Do we want to recognize non-ASCII strings in the ServerName|Alias
>>> directives as utf-8 -> punycode encodings?  Internally, from the
>>> time the servername field is assigned, it can be an ascii mapping.
>>> All thoughts appreciated, particularly references to fresh specs,
>>> implementation guidance and compatible clients.
>> serverconfigs -> punnycode
>> dns in background -> punnycode
>> self written backends -> input UTF8, transparent translation
>> while generating serverconfigs and translate back for display
>> nothing other happens if you make "nslookup wü"
>> there is no "ü" in any configuration nor in EPP/DRI nor
>> in any postfix/dbmail/dovecot configuration
>> [harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ nslookup wü
>> Server:
>> Address:
>> Name:   wü
>> Address:
> Reindl,
> I'm having a hard time parsing what you are trying to communicate.
> AIUI, your example above, you've either
>  1. added RFC-incompliant high bit names to your own DNS, or
>  2. running a punycode-aware flavor of nslookup.
> Could you clarify?  I am truly interested in your feedback as one
> active user of i18n domains, and the entire goal of any punycode
> awareness within httpd is to make your lives easier

there is simply no need for UTF8 in servrnames
the nslookup you see is only a user-view

there are only ASCII chars in dns and http-config
without any special char and that is why IDN exists

you will find no other expression than ""
for "wü" in dns, httpd and other services while
nslookup and any browser are happy with the special chars

View raw message