httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Scripting for a windows installer
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2012 16:22:59 GMT
> On 7/14/2012 9:42 PM, Gregg Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Neither XP or 2003 are EOL'd, not till April 2014 IIRC.
>>>
>> Correction, it still has security support till then and do not expect them to go
away just
>> yet.
>
> But we aren't concerned with providing 'new software' for any such legacy
> environment.  I don't think 2.2 is dead, yet.

I should have added that, although there are changes to apr and the winnt mpm
that will at some point kill interop with these revisions, right now they likely
still work, no promise on how long that might last.

As far as scripting installation/postinstall operations in PowerShell, it turns
out they too can add powershell as a necessary prerequisite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell

>> Something that I have noticed with people who install with the .msi, it would be
nice to
>> have an upgrade option. Many newbs are fearful of uninstalling to upgrade since they
do
>> not know it will leave behind and not overwrite what the want saved and not overwritten.
>
> Agreed.

And I should have added that I hope WIX will make this simpler.