httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mpm-itk and upstream Apache, once again
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:22:07 GMT
On 19 Jul 2012, at 18:07, Tim Bannister <isoma@jellybaby.net> wrote:

> On 19 Jul 2012, at 17:26, Nick Kew wrote:
>
>>> 2. Fixes to get Apache to drop the connection if it detects (during .htaccess
lookup) that it would need to change the uid.

>> Dropping the connection gratuitously breaks HTTP, and so has no place in httpd (of
course, a third-party module sets its own rules). Would it need a core patch to return an
Internal Server Error (500)?

> Vanilla httpd does this all the timeā€¦ after a timed-out keepalive. The client cannot
make any assumptions about the configured timeout, and can't tell whether the dropped connection
is due to a genuine timeout or a UID mismatch between the previous and current request.

I would hate to have to troubleshoot this - two completely independent behaviors, with the
same symptom but completely different cause.

Nick is right, a 500 is the right thing to do here.

Regards,
Graham