httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of Windows-work for 2.4.x
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 20:26:54 GMT
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Mladen Turk <mturk@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 07/18/2012 05:49 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>>

>>> Is it possible that this results in flaky behavior depending on
>>> third-party software installed?
>>>

>> Well, MSDN clearly states:
>> <quote>
>> Note: The function pointer for the AcceptEx function must be obtained
>> at run time by making a call to the WSAIoctl function ...
>> </quote>
>>
>> If I understand English grammar correctly *must* is something
>> you can't interpret at will.
>>
>> However whether this is a reason for a flaky behaviour or not
>> is a question. But in any case the statement "must be obtained"
>> is a pretty clear.
>
> Yeah, I agree completely on "must", and I'll try to fix that Real Soon
> Now.  On the rest, I was just mumbling that I saw a potential
> connection between an API that (unexpectedly) you are supposed to
> obtain dynamically and past reports of failures in the use of that API
> in some configurations supposedly involving third-party software that
> developers can't readily reproduce.  (unclear to me how much of this
> is urban legend)

Other MS doc indicates that the reason the address should be retrieved
dynamically is performance:  The available static function in
mswsock.lib will try to retrieve AcceptEx on each call.

There was a bit of snowballing on what seemed like a simple change...
The static GetAcceptExSockaddrs no longer fills in addresses if the
dynamic AcceptEx is used, and some MinGW levels are missing the
necessary definitions.