httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: mpm-event-optimization
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:10:36 GMT

On Jul 11, 2012, at 1:53 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> About 4 months ago we moved Paul's event optimization stuff
>> to its own branch, and since then no work as been done on it
>> at all...
>>
>> I'd like for us to consider putting it back into trunk, so we
>> can work out the bugs and issues and getting it up to snuff.
>> This is in conjunction with my effort to reboot 'simple' (which
>> I've been working on externally)...
>
> But there have been quite a few bugfixes in trunk's mpm event since the branch. We should
get these into 2.4 first before we do radical changes in trunk. There are also the patches
from http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201203.mbox/%3C201203022118.08839.sf%40sfritsch.de%3E
but I didn't have enough cycles to finish and commit those, yet.

> Of course, this should not prevent anyone from committing improvements to the mpm-event-optimization
branch.

To be clear, yes, the intent was to ensure that all patches
from trunk got into 2.4 before we re-merge. My expectation is
that the event optimizations will eventually find their way
into 2.4.x (and not be part of 2.6.x) and so getting them back
into trunk allows people to work them. Except for main
branches, most side-branches just don't get worked.

So my plan is:

  1. We push all trunk event improvements into 2.4.x
  2. We release 2.4.3
  3. We re-merge the event optims back to trunk.