httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bongjae Chang <bongjae.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CLOSE_WAIT problem
Date Fri, 25 May 2012 08:52:14 GMT
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply.

I commented some below.

Thanks!

Regards,
Bongjae Chang

On 5/25/12 3:38 PM, "Eric Covener" <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But, I have a question. Can't Apache detect the closed connection as
>>soon
>> as the backend connection is closed?
>
>It "can" but it doesn't.

Then you mean it doesn't matter if CLOSE_WAITs exist because the case is a
rare example.

As your words, Apache doesn't close the peer connection which has been
already closed though Apache can. Then, could I know the reason by any
chance?(just curious)

>> I am sorry that I don't review codes yet so I don't know if Apache uses
>> blocking I/O or NIO for backend.
>>

>NIO is a java-ism.

Woops. I am sorry for using "NIO" words. :-)

>mod_proxy is synchronous and nobody is watching
>the sockets while a thread isn't handling a request and trying to use
>the conn.
>

>> Is the watcher thread which is going through all of the connections
>> looking to see if they have been closed by the peer only solution?
>
>There is no thread.

I see.. then I think that it will be useful if mod_proxy will support the
feature later(just my opinion).