httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Kyle Hamilton" <kya...@kyanha.net>
Subject Re: Moving on
Date Sat, 21 Apr 2012 00:55:41 GMT

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> Thank you, both of you, for further illustrating my point. Now, ask yourself
> whether your mutual chuckle was worth making most of the rest of us feel
> like we were outside some shared joke.
>
> For myself, I'm not sure I care. I'm somewhat used to being a foreigner in a
> culture of shared jokes, and one learns to ignore it. But some people find
> it very alienating, and this is a loss to all of us.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

But is it httpd's job to make up for deficiencies in its users' socialization?  If so, how
far will it go to do so?

(In-jokes are one of the Shared Experiences that lead to camaraderie, both for being within
them and for being outside of them.  If it is alienating, perhaps an explanation that they
are in-jokes and they are not to be taken seriously, and also by the way if the reader doesn't
know the reference she could look up specific keywords?  I find that alienation is much more
easily overcome than blandness.)

-Kyle H