httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bannister <is...@jellybaby.net>
Subject Re: utf-8 -> punycode for ServerName|Alias?
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2012 09:59:59 GMT
On 7 Apr 2012, at 07:33, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> So we have live registrars, no longer "experimental", who are now registering domains
in punycode.  Make of it what you will.

> Do we want to recognize non-ASCII strings in the ServerName|Alias directives as utf-8
-> punycode encodings?  Internally, from the time the servername field is assigned, it
can be an ascii mapping.

I think this is more important for mass virtual hosting (VirtualDocumentRoot from mod_vhost_alias,
etc). Users would create a document root directory named, eg, テスト.example and expect
it to work. They don't know anything about Unicode, let alone punycode.
I reckon a lot of users would work out quickly that only Roman characters work in domain names,
but they aren't going to be able to work out how to rename that folder into the correct punycode
nor to tell the folders apart if renamed in this way.

As a user: I already have a configuration file with a UTF-8 ServerAlias defined, that's just
waiting for httpd to implement this feature … and until then, I have the punycoded version
in there as well.

--
Tim Bannister – isoma@jellybaby.net