httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Gruno <rum...@cord.dk>
Subject http-mpm.conf.in versus docs and defaults
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:34:09 GMT
Being a new committer and, basically, just a documentation committer, I
feel that I must bring this before the dev@ list before proceeding any
further. There appears to be a mismatch between the mpm defaults in the
configuration and the documentation surrounding it as well as the header
definitions. An example is the worker and event mpm, where the
configuration defines them so:

   StartServers             2
   MinSpareThreads         25
   MaxSpareThreads         75
   ThreadsPerChild         25
   MaxRequestWorkers      150

However, in both the documentation and the headers, these values can be
read or calculated as:

   StartServers             3
   MinSpareThreads         75
   MaxSpareThreads        250
   ThreadsPerChild         25
   MaxRequestWorkers      400

 From what I can gather with my IRC chats with Igor Galic, this has been
discussed quite a while back, and the consensus was to adopt these new
values as default, but somehow it did not make it to the
http-mpm.conf.in file.
I have been asked to change the values in the conf.in file, but I'm very
unsure if it is merited, so I therefor ask you, oh great people of the
dev@ list, to give me an answer as to whether these new values should be
adopted or not. The current stance we have taken in discussions
regarding these values is that there is a difference between default
configuration value and the default values hard-coded into the server,
but it can seem a bit silly to use that explanation at times.

With regards,
Daniel.