httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: TRACE still enabled by default
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:09:07 GMT
On March 21, 2012 16:02 , Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> TRACE won't work at all if the most popular end-point doesn't support it.
>> Why would this be a bad thing?  Or, to phrase it another way, what are the
>> situations in which it is desirable that TRACE be already-enabled on a web
>> server as opposed to having the owner of the web server enable the TRACE
>> method in response to a specific debugging need?
> Roy means that if we don't set the precedent for TRACE being present
> and how it is supposed to work, then nobody else will. The Apache HTTP
> server is effectively the embodiment and leader of the HTTP
> specification.

Yes, that was clear.  But why would setting a precedent and leading the
way for TRACE only being present when explicitly enabled by the owner of
a specific web server be bad?  For the sake of discussion, what real
world problems -- troubleshooting, debugging, or other problems -- would
such a course of action actually cause?

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org