httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Proposal: adoption of mod_policy subproject
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 19:50:44 GMT
On Wednesday 29 February 2012, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> On Feb 29, 2012, at 10:32 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> > It's the reason why mod_aspdotnet was ejected, and why mod_arm4,
> > mod_ftp and perhaps even mod_fcgid are all on their way out of
> > the project as it is, unless more committers participate in
> > those subprojects.
>
> The other way to approach it is to simply move them *into* the main
> project, and not as "subprojects"...
>
> We've seen that subprojects do NOT work. There is more activity
> when they are in the main tree. With the exception of mod_arm4
> (which I've never looked at), I would be MORE than comfy having
> both mod_ftp and mod_fcgid moved into the main tree today.

But it would have to be clear that inclusion into trunk would not by
default mean that they would be included in the next major release.

Especially for mod_ftp, I think that it requires many more eyeballs
and a comprehensive test suite before it should be part of a stable
release. Otherewise, it would just be a source of lots of security
issues that need to be handled and would tie up resources.