httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Platform docs
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 15:24:38 GMT
On 20 Feb 2012, at 5:16 PM, Daniel Ruggeri wrote:

> Agreed - the wiki is the place to create these types of docs and let
> packagers and maintainers tweak/enhance them until maturity. I've been
> building on AIX for years and was pleased to learn something new from
> Eric's article you mentioned. Also, I think the wiki is the place to use
> since there are many ways to skin a cat (produce a build, in this case)
> with some ways working/fitting your environment better than others. This
> could lead to a lot of suggestions or documentation that might not fit
> in the `official' docs.

We've been shipping build and packaging scripts and the like for Windows, Solaris and RPM
based systems for a number of years in our source tree, and the stuff in the source tree should
ideally be documented in our formal documentation tree.

Sure, extra knowledge or external packaging variations could be captured on a wiki, but it
we ship something, we should document it too.

> Do we want to come up with a wishlist to frame a skeleton for build
> documentation? I would expect a generic area of documentation for stuff
> like "how to compile with ldaps support" versus "how to get the
> configure script on AIX to ultimately link libldap properly".
>
> Suffice to say I learned a lot of stuff through trial and error while
> packaging over the years - it wouldn't take much arm twisting for me to
> spread that knowledge. My question is whether or not there is an
> audience to make the effort worthwhile.

That kind of stuff lives below here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/platform/

The audience for this stuff is anyone who wants to properly deploy httpd onto a box in a sensible,
manageable state. While some people still build from source to a custom target directory,
this group is growing less and less as OSes come with ever more sensible packaging options.

Regards,
Graham