httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.1
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2012 07:00:32 GMT
On 2/20/2012 8:04 AM, Jess Holle wrote:
> Ok, issues with all mod_ssl would be a big problem.
>
> If you needed to do DisableWin32AcceptEx, though, then something was already not quite
right.

> What you mean by "mod_ssl on a port", though?  You just mean running an HTTPS listener
right?

Precisely.  mod_ssl does not interact well (expects its bucket read to be
blocking) against the incomplete response created by a 'data-less' AcceptEx
or accept().  There are a ton of weird variations in which blocking states
are inherited from a listening socket to an AcceptEx socket vs an accept
socket on Windows.  That's where the problem is, and those in a position
to debug hadn't hit on this state (and the fact that the timing has to be
very fast means that it isn't easily reproduced in a debug environment).

Most modules won't care.  As Steffan points out, most non-ssl modules don't
care either.  mod_ssl freaks out, but we can't exactly put the blame on
mod_ssl when it explicitly demanded a blocking response.