httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Smith <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.1
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:49:29 GMT
On 2/15/2012 10:00 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> When any one of these were incorrectly implemented by a network stack
> driver, DisableWin32AcceptEx (and now AcceptFilter none) was necessary
> to work around the broken driver.  That feature has always been a gross
> hack around what should "just work".

It does seem odd that so many drivers out there on the market have
incorrectly implemented these mandatory features incorrectly since these
days many have been certified by MS, and that they only seem to affect
httpd. As far as Win32DisableAcceptEx, hack or not it worked great. What
I have now to keep the server answering on https is a bigger hack,
scanning error log every 30 minutes and if new AcceptEx error found,
signaling a graceful restart. How did "timing issues" not affect the old
hack, and why not use the old "known to work" hack for at least
AcceptFilter none, up until some better fix is found? If that fix is
found and cannot be implemented till 2.next, then 2.next it is.

Sorry to prod, but this will affect adoption of 2.4 on Windows.

Gregg