httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Steffen" <i...@apachelounge.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.1
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 20:18:09 GMT
Ever contacted the owners of a network stack driver, like Microsoft, Intel
and/or Broadcom ?

They should know that they are buggy and not ASF,  special Microsoft should
know that some is buggy for HTTPD (only).

I still think:
Hardly believe that it is a driver problem, I guess more it is an http
design issue, seen it nowhere else for all that years.

I suggest to consult/hire Microsoft (believe is a ASF sponsor), they certify
the drivers.

Steffen

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe Jr.
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:00 PM
To: dev@httpd.apache.org
Cc: Steffen
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.1

On 2/15/2012 11:39 AM, Steffen wrote:

> Blaming (stack) drivers with set to data:
> Bug shows when tested with server rated cards from Broadcom and Intel with
> old and new certified drivers on clean 2008 R2 and SP1 and XP and with
> consumer rated cards like Realtek, and that on quite some different boxes.
> So feels bug is not there, but you are the expert.

To be clear, again... Winsock 2.2 provides several mandatory features
which are integrated into the driver code;

1. recycling sockets (through TransmitFile and DisconnectEx)
2. accelerated kernel-based file transmission (through TransmitFile)
3. async accept-with-data (through AcceptEx)

When any one of these were incorrectly implemented by a network stack
driver, DisableWin32AcceptEx (and now AcceptFilter none) was necessary
to work around the broken driver.  That feature has always been a gross
hack around what should "just work".