httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: documenting -deps
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:42:44 GMT
On 17 Jan 2012, at 10:32 PM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:

> Why not just do it how it has always been done, that is to include the latest release
of APR/APU(/APR-I on Win) for the httpd release? It seems to me if I recall this correctly,
that the reason there was a separate -deps package was because APR 1.4 was not released, therefore
could not be bundled yet was required for 2.3.x at the time of release.

> I know PCRE was axed and the reason is sound. APR however, is part of ASF and maintained
by most of you anyway.

> The preferred needed APR & APU are all in a released state, what's the problem bundling
again?

Both APR and APR-Util are standalone packages, and are deployed in their own right on systems,
just like other dependencies like OpenSSL or db4, and this has been so for many years.

Bundling them causes confusion and clashes with these system installed packages. Those that
need included APR/APR-Util should be the exception, not the rule.

Regards,
Graham