httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: trunk/2.4 core output filter is broken
Date Wed, 25 Jan 2012 00:05:45 GMT
Looking over the code, impl as a hook seems more "isolated",
rather than the current impl which is intrusive (which is
part of what we're trying to avoid, aren't we?)

On Jan 24, 2012, at 4:08 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012, Joe Orton wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 09:39:38PM +0100, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
>>> This patch allows us to later add members to core_ctx_t without
>>> breaking binary compatibility to mod_ftp. Without such a patch, the
>>> size of core_ctx_t is part of the ABI, which is bad.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>
>> After thinking about it more: the WinNT MPM use of this facility still
>> seems unnecessary.  The same effect could be achieved using an input
>> filter which returns the extra data from AcceptEx.
>>
>> Here's a proof of concept for prefork, which prepends "GET" to data
>> received from the socket - no core hacks required.  (This is dumb and
>> should be more sophisticated, it would need to handle
>> AP_MODE_GETBYTES/AP_MODE_GETLINE if possible from the "extra" data
>> alone, without always fetching a brigade from the socket)
>>
>> For mod_ftp the need to replace the socket bucket looks more convincing,
>> but still surely a hook calling *out* from the core is better?
>
> I agree that the it is not strictly necessary that WinNT MPM modifies the core input
filter's brigade. But I don't think that yet another implementation of AP_MODE_GETBYTES/AP_MODE_GETLINE
would be a superior design. I think we should defer this change to after Paul (or someone
else) has implemented his input filter API redesign proposal from last November, which would
make input filters more lightweight.

> BTW, the reason I didn't make this a hook is trying to be more efficient. But the difference
may be negligible, it's only called once per connection. If you prefer to change it to a hook,
please go ahead. I won't have time in the next few days.