httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: documenting -deps
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 12:22:10 GMT

On Jan 17, 2012, at 3:42 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2012, at 10:32 PM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
>
>> Why not just do it how it has always been done, that is to include the latest release
of APR/APU(/APR-I on Win) for the httpd release? It seems to me if I recall this correctly,
that the reason there was a separate -deps package was because APR 1.4 was not released, therefore
could not be bundled yet was required for 2.3.x at the time of release.

>> I know PCRE was axed and the reason is sound. APR however, is part of ASF and maintained
by most of you anyway.

>> The preferred needed APR & APU are all in a released state, what's the problem
bundling again?

> Both APR and APR-Util are standalone packages, and are deployed in their own right on
systems, just like other dependencies like OpenSSL or db4, and this has been so for many years.

> Bundling them causes confusion and clashes with these system installed packages. Those
that need included APR/APR-Util should be the exception, not the rule.

For the beta, it was deemed Good to bundle the required versions of
apr/apu; for the GAs, not so much.

I'm +1 for not bundling them.