httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: documenting -deps
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:50:59 GMT
On 1/31/2012 11:30 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Just to be clear, the current thinking is that we do not bundle
> apr/apu at all with 2.4.x... either as a sep tarball (the -deps),
> nor simply slapped in there (ala 2.2.x)...
>
> I wonder if the issue is that we call that tarball httpd...-deps. I
> wonder if people would think differently if we named it httpd...-aprlibs
> or something like that, which makes it clear that we're providing apr/apu
> simply as a Nice Thing for our end users, but not as a *dependency*,
> which carries a different connotation ...

No.  It is a dependency.  It is not convenient, unless the HTTP Server
RM's are all committed to repackaging all of the -deps every time the
APR project introduces a security fix or significant bug fix.

Providing the wrong packages for any given point in time is not
a convenience, it is a disservice.