httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 2.2.22
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 04:13:19 GMT
On 1/22/2012 9:20 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Seems to me that there's enough to warrant a 2.2.22 release...
> As long as we're doing a 2.4.1, why not also provide a 2.2.22
> at the same time?

Because, 2.4.x is a distraction to shipping 2.2.22.  You are
welcome to do a 2.4.x, although I will vote against it without
sensible include/includeoptional behavior, or without a sensible
non-DoSing core filter, or without the correction of sometimes
faulty acceptfilter none/mod_ssl behavior on win32.  Only one
of those is a serious security issue you are ignoring, and that
would only be one vote against, which certainly doesn't prevent
its release.

I had expressed my intent, as you well know, on the security and
private lists, to RM 2.2.22 the moment the last security patch is
in place (using the same autogunk tooling so that users have no
surprises in upgrading).  And I am still committed to helping out
by doing so.

Or maybe you didn't know... I do suggest you review the open
defect threads on security and dev w.r.t. 2.2.22-dev and 2.4.1-dev
because the current list precludes any sane tag and roll of either.
Sorry if I assume you had read messages that you hadn't scanned.

You are welcome to do an earlier 2.2.x tag which I will vote against
for shipping known-vulnerable software.  Of course, that is only
one vote against, and certainly doesn't prevent its release.

Of course with 2.4.x, I hope you are going with the most modern
autoconf/libtool tooling, since there is nothing forcing a user
to adopt it, and any config defects will shake out soon enough.
My attitude towards maintaining consistent tooling for 2.2.x src
tarballs is entirely related to ease-of-mandatory-transitions.