httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Include strangeness
Date Mon, 23 Jan 2012 03:45:25 GMT
On 1/22/2012 12:14 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> Apart from the fact that the docs to Include do not match the code and
> IncludeOptional is not documented at all, the way Include interacts
> with directory wildcards is a bit strange:
>
> I have conf/extra/httpd-userdir.conf and a directory conf/original
> (without httpd-userdir.conf in it). This makes
>

> Include conf/*/httpd-userdir.conf
>
> fail with
>
> httpd: Syntax error on line 481 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
> Could not open configuration file
> /usr/local/apache2/conf/original/httpd-userdir.conf: No such file or
> directory
>
> even though the whole Include statement does match one file. I think
> this makes directory wildcards a lot less useful with Include. Is this
> intentional or an implementation quirk? Of course, one can always use
> IncludeOptional...

That is a bug.  Any pattern matching at least one file is a success
for either Include or IncludeOptional.  Any pattern matching no files
whatsoever should fail the Include statement, while IncludeOptional
would keep right on truckin with no emits.

That's what the principal of least astonishment would suggest.