httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregg L. Smith" <>
Subject Re: Discuss: Dropping dsw/dsp files
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:39:11 GMT
> On 1/20/2012 2:50 PM, Steffen wrote:
>> Building with GUI must be possible, always ! That is just the very strong point for
building windows;  do not degrade.
> Did not suggest otherwise (with still supported products al la studio 2003+).
> That doesn't include supporting a 6-year-dead gui already requiring an extra
> years-dead SDK.  Remember 2.4.0 is a complete break with the past in terms of
> binary compatibility.  It is the time to lose baggage.

My concern for removing dsw/dsp was less about supporting VC6 and more
about supporting a faster way of converting the solution/projects files,
this is my big concern. To keep these, and supply VC10 sln/proj seems to
me the best way to deal with this *at this time* and is a win/win for
everything VC >= 7.

The easiest way to kill support for VC6 is the move to C99, not
necessarily dumping the dsw/dsp files :) Please do not think of them as
baggage, but instead as a tool to get where any one of us VC <=9 might
want to go quickly, until such time as there is another way.

I'll grant you, it seems the full package of these is a little over
800k. Storage is cheap, or is what I read all the time. Bandwidth on the
other hand is not, and zip is nothing close to tar.gz when it comes to
text files it seems sadly.

You mentioned that 2003 & 2005 have extended support, what makes you
sure 2008 will not get same, since 2010 was not well adopted? We'll have
to wait and see how 2011 plays out.

View raw message