httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <>
Subject Re: Discuss: Dropping dsw/dsp files
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:04:20 GMT
On 1/20/2012 2:50 PM, Steffen wrote:
> Building with GUI must be possible, always ! That is just the very strong point for building
windows;  do not degrade.

Did not suggest otherwise (with still supported products al la studio 2003+).
That doesn't include supporting a 6-year-dead gui already requiring an extra
years-dead SDK.  Remember 2.4.0 is a complete break with the past in terms of
binary compatibility.  It is the time to lose baggage.

I'd counter you that building with command line must be possible, always! :)
I don't think they are mutually exclusive.  Command line .vcproj builds do
work.  But I'd like something that could build with SDK/WDK tools.

I agree that GUIs offer an amazing flexibility for code adopters!  It's a
shame we don't have an eclipse-centric committer who wants that to happen here.
I'd embrace as many widely adopted GUIs as possible to ensure our code is
approachable to the uninitiated.

If it were not for VS6's source browser features, I would never have landed
so deeply into httpd-1.3 so quickly.  I didn't and don't recommend that we
turn that on unconditionally, but it is a great feature that users can toggle
for themselves when learning!

> Btw OT, VC11 is around the corner, with also c  language changes, maybe better wait for

We aren't likely to adopt any MS'isms to the C language.  We are only
now at ANSI '89 and should be just about ready to go to C 99 on trunk.
I see no beta yet so its best ignored.

The only thing I'm waiting on is OpenSSL 1.0.1 (now in beta-2) before
freezing versions major/minor.  (Of course OpenSSL subversion is minor
everywhere else.  They like their alphabet :)

View raw message