httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Discuss: Dropping dsw/dsp files
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:45:32 GMT
On 1/20/2012 2:32 PM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
>> That is troublesome.  However, it only affects GUI interaction?  It should
>> not impact .mak based builds.
>
> True, but there are reasons I prefer the GUI, biggest is where one runs into trouble
> during a compile. I can rebuild any specific problem project/s, remove buildbin dependency
> from the installbin project, and when I have hammered out the specific problems, use
said
> installbin to just copy the files into place.
>
> Good example is recent APR-Util 1.4.1 and the static lib not compiling w/ crypto. I was
> able to compile all but the few things linked to the static lib, remove the crypto switch
> in apu.hw, then built the static lib and the things like ab and abs that linked to it,
> none needed apr_crypto anyway. Not such an easy task to do via makefile.

Understood.  Here again, we won't target Studio 6, or 2002/.NET.  We won't
impede people from using them as a command line build, and might offer some
obscure way to obtain dsp/dsw, but that isn't a priority and the project
as a whole shouldn't have to fuss with them.

> New people to the game also prefer the GUI, after all, why do we have Windows (ok, KDE.
> XServer, Gnome, same in the *nix world these days)?

New people... using Visual Studio, but not 6 or 2002/.NET.  /shrug

Visual Studio .NET 2003 is the oldest surviving tool.  Its extended EOL
doesn't expire until Oct next year.  It is beyond the general support
window, but I'd presume as extended support, it would receive critical
msvcr patches.  2005 just fell off of mainstream support last year but
will have extended support for years to come.  And for completeness,
2008 will fall off mainstream support next April.