httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregg L. Smith" <...@gknw.net>
Subject Discuss: Dropping dsw/dsp files
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:06:52 GMT
On 1/20/2012 11:30 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 1/20/2012 1:03 PM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
>> On 1/20/2012 10:40 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>
>> I hope to spend time this weekend on the win32 build.  I would
>> like very much to dump .dsp/.dsw prior to your tag.  That means
>> some sort of .mak (simplified from the dsp output, I hope!) and
>> certainly sln/vcproj files that are modestly portable across
>> several more recent visual studio versions.
>>
>> Also expecting 2.3.7 mod_fcgid should be ready to tag by Monday.
>> Would be great if they worked together :)
>>
>> Slow down please. -0.5
> Well - I'll commit something concrete to trunk and let people debate.
>
>> Which sln/vsproj? VC10?
>> I think dsw/dsp should stay. They are compatible with VC6-9, so they cover many version
,
>> unlike VC10 that works only with VC10.
> Right.  Very foolish.  Need studio 7+ compatible flavors.  Morons.
>
> No fear; I was going to cover all GUI's not EOL'ed yet, at least.
>
>> Granted one could call VC6&  7 surely dead though I still use VC6 for quick builds
on
>> occasion cause it compiles quickly (60-80 seconds) and needs no redist.
> It makes no sense for the next version major.  But the .mak files will build
> under VC6 + SDK, or DDK + SDK + mladen hacks, or whatever.
>
> There's nothing special dsp gives anyone anymore, except the export ability
> we will replace.  You will still be able to compile.  Would urge you to look
> at mladen's hacks if you want a modern compile plus classic msvcrt.
I respectfully disagree,

Due to the fact that right now, you have to convert to VC9 first, then
convert to VC10, I have some insight here that I am sure you do as well.

If you have done this, you may remember how long that last conversion
takes to accomplish. I can convert in VC9 from dsw/dsp in under a
minute. The last time I tried converting VC9 to VC10 it took a long,
long time. Minutes, many minutes.

I would have to assume converting up from VC7 would be same on VC9 as
converting 9 to 10. Even if not, from 7 to 10 would again, be a slow
process.

This was my technical reason behind my request to keep the dsw/dsp files
while also supplying VC10 sln/vcproj as well. This way, all are covered,
and no one has to wait a long time for the conversion. Sure, many are
EOL but none the less still in use.

>> I beg you to keep the dsw/dsp and just add in VC10 sln/vcproj. That covers everyone.
>> simple del /s *.sln *.vcp* will remove those VC10 files for those of us not ready
to move
>> to VC10 (till such time as php moves there).
> We only lose the antique GUI.  Nothing more.

and time as stated above