httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: documenting -deps
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:55:53 GMT
On 1/17/2012 2:32 PM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:

> The preferred needed APR & APU are all in a released state, what's the problem bundling
> again?

Because they don't stay released.

APR and APU have updates and security patches which are out of step
with httpd.  As anyone who's been involved in a large, collective
work knows, having one "project" gated on releases from a host of
projects is bad mojo for the collective one.

Here, we ship source code.  So delivering httpd and letting the
user, at any point in time, pick up the freshest apr and apr-util
is optimal.

And, I can re-roll a windows binary, for example, with a newly
released apr.  Under our one-bundle approach, that really is not
possible, because httpd hasn't shipped an httpd + apr.new.

Bill