httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregg L. Smith" <...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: documenting -deps
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2012 20:32:50 GMT
> On 1/17/2012 2:07 PM, Eric Covener wrote:
>> * Are we committed to providing the -deps for 2.4's lifetime, or would
>> we doc it with some weasel language?
> I'm +1 for dropping -deps, but you knew that ;-)
>
>> * Does anyone care if we're not committed to it and just change the
>> doc when we change our mind and stop providing a deps tarball?
> No... we need some doc to help users.  Looking at the users@ list has been
> instructive.  I really think we need 2.4.0-beta to iron out how hard it is
> now for users to adopt this package, and what we have to document in order
> to remedy that complexity

2 cents

Why not just do it how it has always been done, that is to include the
latest release of APR/APU(/APR-I on Win) for the httpd release? It seems
to me if I recall this correctly, that the reason there was a separate
-deps package was because APR 1.4 was not released, therefore could not
be bundled yet was required for 2.3.x at the time of release.

I know PCRE was axed and the reason is sound. APR however, is part of
ASF and maintained by most of you anyway.

The preferred needed APR & APU are all in a released state, what's the
problem bundling again?

Regards,

Gregg