httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Steffen <i...@apachelounge.com>
Subject Re: Discuss: Dropping dsw/dsp files
Date Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:50:06 GMT
Building with GUI must be possible, always ! That is just the very strong point for building
windows;  do not degrade.

Btw OT, VC11 is around the corner, with also c  language changes, maybe better wait for that.

Op 20 jan. 2012 om 20:32 heeft "Gregg L. Smith" <gls@gknw.net> het volgende geschreven:

> On 1/20/2012 12:14 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> On 1/20/2012 2:06 PM, Gregg L. Smith wrote:
>>> Due to the fact that right now, you have to convert to VC9 first, then convert
to VC10, I
>>> have some insight here that I am sure you do as well.
>> Good point...
>>
>>> If you have done this, you may remember how long that last conversion takes to
accomplish.
>>> I can convert in VC9 from dsw/dsp in under a minute. The last time I tried converting
VC9
>>> to VC10 it took a long, long time. Minutes, many minutes.
>>>
>>> I would have to assume converting up from VC7 would be same on VC9 as converting
9 to 10.
>>> Even if not, from 7 to 10 would again, be a slow process.
>> That is troublesome.  However, it only affects GUI interaction?  It should
>> not impact .mak based builds.
>
> True, but there are reasons I prefer the GUI, biggest is where one runs into trouble
during a compile. I can rebuild any specific problem project/s, remove buildbin dependency
from the installbin project, and when I have hammered out the specific problems, use said
installbin to just copy the files into place.

> Good example is recent APR-Util 1.4.1 and the static lib not compiling w/ crypto. I was
able to compile all but the few things linked to the static lib, remove the crypto switch
in apu.hw, then built the static lib and the things like ab and abs that linked to it, none
needed apr_crypto anyway. Not such an easy task to do via makefile.

> New people to the game also prefer the GUI, after all, why do we have Windows (ok, KDE.
XServer, Gnome, same in the *nix world these days)?