httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: Questions on open ports between trunk and 2.4.x
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 21:23:32 GMT
On Tuesday 31 January 2012, Rainer Jung wrote:

> 1) mod_reqtimeout
> =================
>
> r1202255 | pquerna | 2011-11-15 16:49:19 +0100 (Tue, 15 Nov 2011) |
> 1 line disable mod_reqtimeout if not configured
>
> It looks like mod_reqtimeout is now inactive by default in trunk,
> but ses some builtin default values in 2.4.x. Is that what we
> want? I'd expected that if we have it automatically use default
> values when loaded in 2.4.x, we would want the same behaviour in
> trunk.

This should be reverted in trunk to behave as in 2.4. Pauls argument
was that it reduces performance but IIRC we later agreed that we
should optimize mod_reqtimeout instead. This causes less grief for
users than a behavor change during 2.4.

> 3) Recent install optimization
> ==============================
>
> r1237447 | sf | 2012-01-29 21:11:55 +0100 (Sun, 29 Jan 2012) | 11
> lines
>
> Install multiple files per install.sh invocation
>
> Libtool and BSD install support installing several files in one
> run. Add support to install.sh and instdso.sh, too.
> Replace for-loops in the Makefiles.
>
> This reduces 'make install' time by approx. 50% because we save
> lots of calls to the huge libtool shell script.
>
> The AIX-specific magic in instdso.sh could use some testing.
>

> Backport?

This is too new. Backport it if it hasn't caused any problems in a
month or two. Or not at all, it's mainly useful for developers that do
"make install" all the time ;-)

> 4) mod_proxy_html
> =================
>
> r1200556 | jorton | 2011-11-10 22:21:03 +0100 (Thu, 10 Nov 2011) |
> 3 lines
>
> * modules/filters/mod_proxy_html.c: Fix various code style issues.
> Use apr_is* ctype macro wrappers.
>

> I guess we want that also in 2.4.x.

+1

> 7) .htaccess handling
> =====================

> ----- r1229021 | niq | 2012-01-09 05:01:06 +0100 (Mon, 09 Jan 2012)
> | 5 lines
>
> Core configuration: add AllowOverride option to treat syntax
> errors in .htaccess as non-fatal.
> PR 52439

+/-0
Not sure that it is that a good idea, but if others are in favor,
that's fine.

> 8) ErrorLog directory checking
> ==============================
>
> r1225199 | sf | 2011-12-28 15:54:49 +0100 (Wed, 28 Dec 2011) | 6
> lines
>
> Check during configtest that the directories for error logs exist
>
> Testing under Windows is welcome
>
> PR: 29941

+1

This has been tested under Windows in the mean-time, but the identical
check for the access logs is still missing. That's no reason not to
backport this one, though.

> 9) Event MPM
> ============
>
> I think everything apart from Paul's new queue has been backported,
> but please double check this list:

Looks good. As a way forward I would suggest to make a branch from
Pauls's changes and revert trunk to 2.4's behavior. Then small
improvements could be prepared in trunk and the big redesign can be
done in that branch.

I want to add my own suggestion, this is unlikely to break something
unreleated:

10) Display registered providers in mod_info
r1225798: