httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: mod_status scoreboard showing wrong slot quantity
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 10:10:33 GMT

----- Original Message -----

> > > If you count all those chars, you'll get 1920. Anybody knows
> > > what's going
> > > on?
> > yep.  ServerLimit * ThreadLimit (defaulted) = 30 * 64 = 1920
>
> Hmm, that's indeed the case. I was perplexed by wording there.
> Those ServerLimits and ThreadLimits could be set automatically, based
> on
> user's impression of maximum amount of connections he wants the
> server to
> handle.

That's sort of what MaxRequestWorkers (the artist formerly know as
MaxClients) is for:

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mpm_common.html#maxrequestworkers

The only problem is that you still have to scale those other two
to get there. I am still of the opinion it would make sense to
scale those automagickally: We define (an arbitrary, perhaps sane)
default for MaxRequestWorkers. Using a library such as hwloc to
determine the CPU topology (and the amount of available memory) we
then auto-scale ServerLimit and ThreadLimit and ThreadsPerChild.

> Thanks for help.
>
> --
> Best regards,
>  Yuri Arabadji -- Systems Engineer