httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Proposal: adoption of mod_firehose subproject
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:09:45 GMT
On 13 Dec 2011, at 8:35 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> A silly question perhaps, but was the tcpdump/wireshark file format considered?
> If not, was there a reason to invent a new representational format?
>
> It seems like the functionality you describe, at the httpd-internals visibility,
> emitted in a tcpdump-compatible representation, would be a godsend.  All the
> GUI inspection tools already exist.

It wasn't considered no, we were after something that was very simple, was text based so we
could open up a capture file with a text viewer and look at the result without necessarily
running it through firehose to demux it.

It does sound like a very useful thing to do though. Having looked at the packet format, it
seems like all the format types are different layer 2 packets of various kinds, when I'm after
something a lot simpler (just request fragments muxed together). Something definitely worth
looking into in more depth.

Regards,
Graham