httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1220867 - in /httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x: ./ CHANGES Makefile.in build/rpm/httpd.spec.in build/rules.mk.in support/Makefile.in test/Makefile.in
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:35:28 GMT
On 20 Dec 2011, at 9:34 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

>> -PROGRAMS        = $(PROGRAM_NAME)
>> -TARGETS         = $(PROGRAMS) $(shared_build) $(other_targets)
>> +sbin_PROGRAMS   = $(PROGRAM_NAME)
>> +TARGETS         = $(sbin_PROGRAMS) $(shared_build) $(other_targets)
>
> Yow.  That defies every naming convention I've ever observed.  Can't we
> pick one case or the other?  Perhaps even "SPROGRAMS" vs PROGRAMS, or
> "SYSPROGRAMS"?

This is the standard convention that's used by automake, I'm not keen on inventing another
arbitrary format if I can avoid it:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Uniform

>> Modified: httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/build/rpm/httpd.spec.in
>> --- httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/build/rpm/httpd.spec.in (original)
>> +++ httpd/httpd/branches/2.4.x/build/rpm/httpd.spec.in Mon Dec 19 17:27:13 2011
>
>> %{_sbindir}/ab
>
> sbin?
>
>> %{_sbindir}/logresolve
>> %{_sbindir}/httxt2dbm
>
> sbin?
>
>> %{_sbindir}/apxs
>
> sbin?

I initially moved tools to match the existing documentation, which has historically divided
the tools up between section 1 (bin) and section 8 (sbin), possibly arbitrarily:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/man

> None of these require the user to be administrator, except to use the
> apxs -i option.  Not really sure if these make sense.  Any pointers to
> a decent canonical definition of sbin v bin?

You're right, the current split doesn't seem to make much sense.

I think apxs belongs in bin, given that "apxs -i" is the same as "make install" and make goes
in bin.

In the case of ab, logresolve, httxt2dbm and rotatelogs, these are definitely bin.

Regards,
Graham