httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release 2.3.16-beta as beta
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 11:37:36 GMT
On 16 Dec 2011, at 12:59 PM, Steffen wrote:

> Was expecting that 2.3.16, as RC/latest beta, did not break that much modules. With 2.3.x
till 2.3.15 it was minor, in fact none here.

> Authors were planning to release new versions to support 2.4 GA, based on testing 2.3.15
and  no api changes in a Release Candidate.

> We must  live with it, according the replies on my modsec example post here.

The API rules are clear, when v2.4.0 is released, the API is cast in stone. Before that point,
the API is subject to change.

We are after the most stable server possible, when a bug exists in the API, that bug must
be fixed.

> Gregg reported here that the problems are the changes to the log_error hook and  remote_ip/remote_addr

This is reported in the CHANGES file, which module authors should be keeping track of.

In the server, we have gone from tracking just one remote IP address to tracking two - the
IP address of the client directly connected to us, and the IP address of the useragent that
initiated the request, which may be some hops away from us separated by caches, load balancer
or proxies. In order to prevent subtle bugs appearing in modules because modules are looking
at the wrong IP address, we are forcing module authors to make an explicit choice - does their
module need the client IP or the useragent IP?

Subtle bugs are bad.

Regards,
Graham