httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Are we there yet?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:01:49 GMT

On Dec 2, 2011, at 7:08 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> I was reading http://httpd.apache.org/docs/trunk/mod/mod_slotmem_shm.html
> and am rather fluxored that the authors apparently don't know the definition
> of the word "anonymous" shared memory.  And there is a brand new syntax if
> users want log-root-relative paths?
>
> Why would slotmem throw away 15 years of filename argument conventions?
>
> IMHO this must be fixed before we call it GA.  Whether that happens before
> a 2.4.0 beta doesn't bother me.

As you likely know, the origins of slotmem grew out of the httpd-proxy-scoreboard
branch (~5.5 years ago) and I assume jfclere had reasons for his choice
for how to setup naming of paths, etc... But that is water under the
bridge; if we wish to fix that then instead of throwing insults hither and
yon, a really good idea would be to make the suggestion that it be
fixed based on history/consistency/etc...

I see that Graham has suggested a course of action, and I +1'ed
it; if Graham lacks the time, I will find some cycles to address
and implement.