httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Are we there yet?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2011 13:24:51 GMT
On 04 Dec 2011, at 12:28 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> It isn't.  Someone trimming their LoadModule lines will undoubtedly
> hit the wall trying to figure out why they couldn't just switch from
> memcache or dbm back to shmcb.  Someone else will break there server
> simply removing unfamiliar modules from the list, particularly one
> which appears nowhere in the ASF HTTP Server module documents lists.

This is definitely a problem, but the changes to the error messages should make it clear to
end users what their course of action should be. We're a modular server, adding a module to
get something is normal.

> This, and the mod_slotmem_* objects, really make lousy modules.
>
> I can understand wanting to extend socache and slotmem into much
> more complex or experimental backend stores.  Extensibility is good.
> But for the time being, and for this fundamental set...
>
> can we please trash all 6 "modules" and add the code into core?
> It seems to me that even apreq extensions are in a more usable,
> documented state than these... and we refuse to incorporate it.
> I think we got things backwards.

This is just moving the furniture though, it doesn't solve the core problem, which is that
they need to be documented (and the API wrong-ness you've pointed out needs to be fixed).

Regards,
Graham