httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Effective IP address / real IP address
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 03:30:55 GMT
On 12/13/2011 9:06 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2011, at 5:33 PM, Graham Leggett wrote:

>>> This makes sense, we're an HTTP server, lets stick to RFC related terms.
>>
>> Done in r 1214022.
>
> Huh, I was wondring what Bill was talking about ... I couldn't remember any
> discussion that had reversed the meaning, and now I know why.
>
> The IP address received by the server interface when we are acting as a
> reverse proxy is not necessarily the IP address of the user agent.  It could
> just as easily be the IP address of an ISP proxy, a corporate firewall,
> or a dozen other client-side intermediaries that are not the user agent.
> Hence, it is just a client.

That is EXACTLY our understanding.  The immediate connection comes from
"a client".  Not the end node asking for the data, but our immediate client
which is a BigIP balancer or a telco cell browser proxy or anything else
which you mention.

"the user agent" is not "just a client", but the originator of the request.

Are we on the same page now?