httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Effective IP address / real IP address
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2011 21:25:19 GMT
I have a frustrating update, which we need to take into consideration for
the whole remote_ip-related resolution.  From the httpd-ng workgroup...

On 09/12/2011, at 9:27 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote to http-ng;

> On 12/8/2011 12:33 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> Le 8 déc. 2011 à 14:55, Larry Masinter a écrit :
>>> I think Karl's rewording is worse. The point I really wanted to make was that
documents that follow HTTP terminology often make the mistake of assuming a "user agent"
has a "user".
>> Ahah! I didn't have the initial context. :)
>>
>>> But if "client" means the same thing as "user agent", then why have a separate
term?

>> I would rather prefer client everywhere too.
>>
>> What wikipedia says:
>>
>> 	In computing, a user agent is a client application
>> 	implementing a network protocol used in communications
>> 	within a client–server distributed computing system.
>> 	— http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_agent
> We just had this discussion at the ASF httpd project.
>
> In a proxy chain, each proxy server is a user agent itself reaching
> out to the next server in the chain.  It is possible to describe
> these each as clients, but when you start looking at end-to-end
> definitions, "client" suggests the originating user agent (app, or
> browser, or service).
>
> So UA and client do have distinct connotations.

Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> response to my observation below;

That's exactly backwards from how we have always used the terms in HTTP -

1945:

>    client
>
>        An application program that establishes connections for the
>        purpose of sending requests.
>
>    user agent
>
>        The client which initiates a request. These are often browsers,
>        editors, spiders (web-traversing robots), or other end user
>        tools.

2068:

>    client
>       A program that establishes connections for the purpose of sending
>       requests.
>
>    user agent
>       The client which initiates a request. These are often browsers,
>       editors, spiders (web-traversing robots), or other end user tools.

2616: