httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Proposal: adoption of mod_policy subproject
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 19:57:53 GMT
On 13 Dec 2011, at 8:39 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

>> The set of policies to apply is as follows, but is expected to change with time:
>>
>> o Content-Type: check that it's present and valid
>> o Content-Length: check that it is present and valid (used to ensure that keepalive
requests between httpd and load balancers aren't prematurely terminated by a Connection: close)

> Presume this means C-L and/or T-E chunked?

The content length filter just does a simple check for content length, while the keepalive
filter takes into account T/E chunked in far more detail.

What we've discovered is that our restful service layer was receiving a lot of HTTP/1.0 requests
from client libraries (not entirely sure why, seems HTTP/1.0 is the default request version
for some well used HTTP client libraries out there). If your service leaves off content length,
and the client is HTTP/1.0, then the server indicates the end of the request by terminating
the connection, which in turn makes the load balancers less effective than they should have
been. We started with complaining about keepalive, and then switching to complaining about
content-length so that HTTP/1.0 requests were taken into account.

Regards,
Graham