httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Schleusener <Jens.Schleuse...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 2.3.15-beta: module proxy_balancer requires the not automatically loaded module slotmem_shm
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 17:19:49 GMT
On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, Rainer Jung wrote:

> On 09.11.2011 21:20, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> On 11/9/2011 4:53 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> Isn't the point different? If someone enables mod_proxy then the
>>> configure script needs to ensure that mod_slotmem is also built…
>>
>> Reporter suggests that *NOT* loading mod_slotmem_shm caused the server
>> to start correctly; exactly the inverse of what we would expect.
>
> No, his subject is "module proxy_balancer requires the not automatically
> loaded module slotmem_shm" ("the not" and not "to not") and he writes
>
> "Ok, so I simply removed in the installed default httpd.conf the comment
> sign within the line
>
>  #LoadModule slotmem_shm_module modules/mod_slotmem_shm.so
>
> and as expected now all works. "

I am the OP and yes, Rainer interprets me correctly.

And here a small addition:

Just for curiosity I added "dav_lock" to my previosly used configure
options (don't ask why, just "historical" reasons):

  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/www/httpd2.3.15-beta_with_dl \
  --enable-so --disable-ldap --with-included-apr --with-pcre=/usr/local/soft \
  --enable-mods-shared="most cache mem-cache dav_lock mime-magic proxy ssl unique_id"

Some relevant entries from the so generated default httpd.conf:

  #LoadModule slotmem_shm_module modules/mod_slotmem_shm.so
  #LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
  #LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
  LoadModule dav_lock_module modules/mod_dav_lock.so

If I now issue "bin/apachectl start" I got the error

  httpd: Syntax error on line 138 of
  /usr/local/www/httpd2.3.15-beta_with_dl/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load
  /usr/local/www/httpd2.3.15-beta_with_dl/modules/mod_dav_lock.so into server:
  /usr/local/www/httpd2.3.15-beta_with_dl/modules/mod_dav_lock.so:
  undefined symbol: dav_push_error

Remark: This error was output to the console and not as yesterday "only"
to the error_log so I detected yesterday the problem only later since the
httpd wasn't running (probably since the errors have different qualities
and/or occur at different phases).

Ok, in this case I had not only to activate/load the "slotmem_shm_module"
but also to remove the comment sign from the following httpd.conf line

  #LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so

to let apache load the required "dav_module". Probably a very similar
configuration dependency problem.

> I think at the moment there is some tendency to further reduce the
> default active LoadModules to a very small module set (see elsethread)
> and not activate the other enabled modules. Module set at build time is
> only loosely coupled to needed modules at run time.
>
> Jim's suggestion still makes sense: even if we do not activate most
> modules by default, some modules have dependencies to other modules and
> when a module with such a dependency is build (enabled), we could build
> the dependencies automatically as well. Modules with dependencies are at
> least mod_ssl (for the session cache), mod_proxy_balancer, and I think
> the heartbeat stuff. Probably also ldap auth needing mod_ldap.
>
> On the other hand we now build "most" by default and there are "all" and
> "reallyall", *and* we now only activate few modules by default. So most
> users should not have a real need to add individual modules to the list
> of modules to build.
>
> IMHO the automatic dependency handling in configure is not a must. We
> could add after GA if users really need it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rainer

Regards

Jens

P.S.: OT ("information" respectively "promotion"): By the way I use the
apache httpd server for "my" FOSS software archive and naturally the
according tarballs are there also available, for e.g. under

  http://fossies.org/unix/www/httpd-2.3.14-beta.tar.gz/

or under the more general and version independent start URL

  http://fossies.org/httpd

Why I write this (with bad conscience)?

That site allows source code browsing, downloads with different
compression formats, generates a CLOC statistic (ok, a gimmick), for e.g.

  http://fossies.org/unix/www/httpd-2.3.14-beta.tar.gz/cloc.html

and offers Doxygen-generated source code documentation (ok, for httpd the
dependency graphs are sometimes a little bit gigantic and confusing),
for e.g.

  http://fossies.org/dox/httpd-2.3.14-beta/

in the hope that it helps the developers of the FOSS community.

But probably apache teams have its own more specific according tools ;-)