httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Setting MaxMemFree by default
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:12:05 GMT
Hi,

I intend to set MaxMemFree by default. The reason is that some modules use
a lot of memory for a few requests (e.g. mod_dav, mod_php). With
MaxMemFree disabled, the allocators will grow to the size
necessary to serve the most memory intensive type of request and never
shrink again. And since we have one allocator per connection (on event) or
one allocator per thread or process (on worker/prefork), this can add up
to insane amounts of memory. As pointed out by a recent bug report, it is
easy to make mod_dav use 50MB for a propfind request. Multiply that by
1000 allocators...

I think 4MB could be a reasonable default for MaxMemFree.

Cheers,
Stefan