httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Fritsch ...@sfritsch.de>
Subject Re: 2.0.65 and 2.3.15-dev
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 16:44:24 GMT

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2011, at 2:43 AM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>> I think 2.4.0 GA at AC is destined to be a "dot zero" release (most
>>> emphasis on the zero, as in null).  Not suggesting we don't do it,
>>> simply that nobody, including yourself, will be at liberty to change
>>> scoreboard datum, api interfaces, etc.
>>>
>>> Are we anywhere near that level of commitment to trunk?  It would be
>>> rather sad if 2.4.0 was ditched for 2.6.0.  Just look to the recent
>>> perl releases for examples of such instability.
>>
>> What are opinions about adding some fields to structs for extensions that seem like
a good idea but have not been written yet. This would then allow to add them during the lifetime
of 2.4.x with only a minor MMN bump.

> Not sure what you mean... we've added additional fields, always at the
> end of the struct, during releases with just a minor MMN bump before.

The problem is that ap_logconf is embedded in the middle of server_rec, so
appending is not an option there. I thought global_score had similar
issues, but I was mistaken. There we can add fields later on.